Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 Benchmark Revealed, Everything you need to know about the new Chip
Qualcomm Technologies, Inc., has introduced the Company’s newest premium-tier mobile platform, the Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 835 processor with X16 LTE. The Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 processor is the first mobile platform to be commercially manufactured using the 10nm FinFET process node, allowing for breakthrough performance and superior power efficiency.
The Snapdragon 835 is designed to support next-generation entertainment experiences including smartphones, VR/AR head-mounted displays, IP cameras, tablets, mobile PCs and other devices running a variety of OS’s including Android and Windows 10 with support for legacy Win32 apps.
The Snapdragon 835 also includes substantial enhancements to the Qualcomm® Adreno™ visual processing subsystem, including the new Adreno 540 GPU and Qualcomm Spectra™ 180 image sensor processor (ISP) for next-generation camera capabilities. Also new in Snapdragon 835 is the Qualcomm Haven™ security platform with enhanced security for biometrics and device attestation.
Images Source Qualcomm
The improvements available with the Snapdragon 835 powers can be summarized across five key technology pillars underpinned with a foundation of enhanced machine learning. The five technology pillars are:
- The Snapdragon 835 is 35 percent smaller in package size and consumes 25% less power compared to the previous generation flagship processor, which equates to longer battery life and thinner designs. The Kryo 280 CPU provides a highly efficient architecture for power, while the integrated Hexagon 682 DSP adds support for TensorFlow and Halide frameworks. The combination of the CPU, GPU, DSP and software framework support in the Snapdragon 835 offers a highly-capable heterogeneous compute platform. Additionally, the Snapdragon 835 is equipped with Qualcomm® Quick Charge™ 4 for up to 20 percent faster charging and up to 30 percent higher efficiency than Quick Charge 3.0;
- Adreno 540 GPU with support for OpenGL ES 3.2, full OpenCL 2.0, Vulkan and DX12;
- Many improvements were made to enhance visual quality, sound quality, and intuitive interactions. Such improvements include up to a 25 percent increase in 3D graphics rendering performance and support of up to 60 times more colors with the Adreno 540 visual processing subsystem.
- Snapdragon 835 also supports 4K Ultra HD premium (HDR10) video, wide color gamut 10-bit displays, object and scene-based 3D audio, and outstanding VR/AR motion tracking that includes our own sensor fusion-based six degrees of freedom (6DoF);
- The Snapdragon 835 enhances both still and video capture experience with smooth optical zoom capabilities, fast auto-focus technologies and HDR true-to-life colors with perceptual quantization video encoding. At the core of the capture experience is the Qualcomm Spectra 180 camera ISP, featuring dual 14-bit ISPs that will enable up to 32MP single or dual 16MP cameras for the ultimate photography and videography experience;
- The Snapdragon 835 comes with an integrated X16 Gigabit-Class LTE modem, with integrated 2×2 802.11ac Wave-2 and 802.11ad Multi-gigabit Wi-Fi, making it the first commercial processor equipped to deliver Gigabit-Class connectivity at home and on the go.
- Qualcomm Location with support for GPS, GLONASS, BeiDou, Galileo, and QZSS systems, which in combination with LTE/Wi-Fi/Bluetooth connectivity to provide “always-on” location and context awareness;
- The Qualcomm Haven security platform provides support for fingerprint, eye and face-based biometrics. It also includes hardware-based user authentication, device attestation, and device security for use cases such as mobile payments, enterprise access, and users’ personal data;
Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 Key specifications
- Octa-core Kryo 280 CPU
- 10nm manufacturing process
- 4 x performance cores up to 2.45GHz (2MB of L2 cache)
- 4 x “efficiency” cores at 1.9GHz (1MB of L2 cache)
- Adreno 540 graphics
- Hexagon 682 DSP
- Spectra 180 ISP
- X16 modem with support for 802.11ad Wi-Fi, Gigabit LTE and Bluetooth 5
SmartPhones powered by Qualcomm Snapdragon 835
- Samsung Galaxy S8
Sony Xperia XZ Premium (Not released)